24/7 Wall St. Daily Market Roundup
Every morning, 24/7 Wall St. editors cover the news, identifying important events and market-moving stories.
The following are the highlights for our Media Digest 09/23/2010 Reuters, WSJ, New York Times, Financial Times and Bloomberg:
- Reuters: The Chinese premier said he would not succumb to pressure from the US on the value of the yuan.
- Reuters: An SEC watchdog said the timing of the charges against Goldman Sachs Group (NYSE: GS) was “suspicious.”
- Reuters: Dell Inc. (NASDAQ: DELL) released its table PC.
- Reuters: Facebook has begun work on two smartphones.
- Reuters: A Harris Interactive survey showed rapid adoption of e-readers.
- Reuters: A sale of Petrobras shares was oversubscribed.
- Reuters: Potash (NYSE: POT) sued BHP Billiton (NYSE: BHP) on its takeover offer.
- New York Times: There is an industry that buys Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) iPhones in NYC and unlocks them to be sent to China.
- New York Times: China stopped the exports of certain rare earth elements to Japan.
- New York Times: Insurers are working to comply with new health care rules.
- New York Times: The Facebook currency called Credits is gaining traction on the social network.
- New York Times: Bill Gates and Warren Buffett stayed at the top of the Forbes 400.
- Bloomberg: World central banks are having trouble moving away from crisis mode.
These are this Thursday's top analyst upgrades, downgrades, and initiations seen in Wall Street research calls:
- Altria Group Inc. (NYSE: MO) Cut to Hold from Buy at Stifel Nicolaus.
- Agrium Inc. (NYSE: AGU) Started as Positive at Susquehanna (late Wednesday). Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ: BRCD) maintained Neutral with $5.50 target at UBS as firm believes takeover chances are lower than rumors.
- DuPont (NYSE: DD) Started as Positive at Susquehanna (late Wednesday).
- GlaxoSmithKline plc (NYSE: GSK) Raised to Neutral at BNP Paribas.
- InterNap Network Services (NASDAQ: INAP) Started as Outperform at Wells Fargo.
- MakeMyTrip Limited (NASDAQ: MMYT) Started as Perform at Oppenheimer.
- The Mosaic Co. (NYSE: MOS) Started as Positive at Susquehanna (late Wednesday).
- NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA) Raised to Outperform at BMO.