SEO Success in 20 Minutes A Day

Author: Chad Hill
Published: February 01, 2013 at 9:31 am

It is no secret that organic traffic is the lifeblood of many small businesses. The businesses that rank in the top three organic spots capture over 80% of the search traffic. If you’re not in the top three, you’re fighting for a meager 20% of search traffic. The secret to good organic rankings is that slow and steady wins the race. Businesses that had taken shortcuts prior to 2012 were brought back down to earth after Google cracked down with its Panda and Penguin updates. Resolve to try the longer term approach in 2013.

First, you need to understand what drives a businesses rankings: links and content. Great content on a brand new website has very little chance of ranking at all. Likewise, a well-linked site with content that’s irrelevant to the searcher won’t show in the search results. It’s all about getting the right mix of quality links plus quality content. Most industry experts agree that 70% of a site’s ability to rank comes from the domain authority of sites linking to it. The other 30% comes from the content on the website.

The SEO in 20 Minutes A Day Program

1. Use Existing Search Data to Find Out What Questions People Want Answered

Since the objective is to get visitors to your website, focus your content on search terms that people use every day. The easiest ways to do this is to use keyword traffic tools to find search phrases to include in your content marketing. There are two ways to do this:

Use a competitor analysis tool to see which rankings your competitors have that you don't. There are many web graders available but most of them provide onsite SEO data. My firm offers a free web grader that provides offsite SEO data (links and keyword rankings).

Use a keyword research tool like Google Adwords keyword research. You can plug in examples of your industry words and Google will tell you how many people search on the phrase and other similar phrases.

In either case, you don’t want to pick keywords that are difficult to rank on. Don’t forget, the top three search results get 80% of the clicks so that’s what you’re shooting for. 

2. Scout the Competition

A highly competitive keyword can take months or years to get to the top three, if you ever get there at all. So choose your keywords wisely. To get a measure of the competition on your choice keywords, place the keyword or phrase in quotes and run a Google search. This will tell you how many results there are for your exact keyword or keyword phrase (exact match results).

Continued on the next page

About this article

Profile image for hubshout

Article Author: Chad Hill

Chad Hill is the CEO of HubShout, a U.S.-based full service online marketing firm and SEO reseller program. Having spent more than 10 years immersed in the SEO business, he is an authority on best online marketing practices for small businesses. …

Chad Hill's author pageAuthor's Blog

Article Tags

Share: Bookmark and Share