Breathing – The Basis of all Life!
All living things must breathe to live. It is the most fundamental activity of all creatures. We all must breathe! and yet we do not think about it most of the time. We become conscious only once we over-exert ourselves when then we become ‘short of breath’. However, we must put more consideration to breathing, as it is fundamental to our health.
Consider these few, but by no means, exhaustive, facts:
• Cancer is anaerobic (Living or functioning in the absence of free oxygen; Funk and Wagnall); it does not survive in high levels of oxygen
• Heart disease, high blood pressure are directly linked to lack of oxygen – poor breathing
• The nervous system is supported by good breathing – the lack of it can result in emotional issues, including anxiety and even depression
• Our source of energy is derived up to 99 percent from proper breathing
• Optimal breathing supports our entire body, both in condition and activity; virtually all health conditions, including heart attacks, cancer, strokes, pneumonia, asthma, speech problems and almost every disease known, can be improved with proper, optimal breathing
Clinical studies have shown that it is the reduction of lung volume that is the most destructive effect of aging. We can go quite some time without food, or even water. However, without oxygen, we are dead within minutes. We reach our peak of respiratory capacity in the mid 20’s. After that, we loose on average anywhere between 10 to 27 percent for every decade of life. With it, we lose our ability to maintain optimum health because of lack of oxygen.
Other, more easily remedied, factors are our increased lack of physical activity. Sedentary jobs and even sedentary pastimes, like TV watching, computer gaming, cell phoning, texting and so on, do not allow us to engage in wholesome, physical outdoor activity.Continued on the next page