Bridging The Generational Gap: The Baby Boomers - Page 2
• Workplace: Boomers started the “Workaholic” expression. They care about getting the job done no matter how long it took. They believe that teamwork is a key to success, as well as building relationships. They love face to face long meetings. They are competitive and defined by their works and their work ethics.
• Family: Work came first; they worked very hard and for very long hours. That affected their families, hence the high rate of divorce of the Boomers' generation. Two income homes started to bud, as women entered the workplace in big numbers.
• Leadership: They changed the McGregor’s management style from Theory X to Theory Y, a participative and collaborative style of management. They respect power and achievements.
• Culture Ethos: Individuality, the “ME” generation. Rebuilding was their motto. Demanding personal freedoms, individually seeking personal fulfillment. They looked at education as a birthright.
• Communications: Somewhat formal and through structured networks. They choose face-to-face conversations, and practice diplomacy.
• Recognition and motivation: Public acknowledgement and career advancement counted the most. They love to hear how much they are valued and how much they are needed. Success is displayed by certificates, trophies and plaques.
• Technology: Necessary for progress and advancement.
• As a customer: They worked too long and too hard, interested in products that save them time and put them in control of their lives. They want products customized for them, the individual. They want also want products that reflect status and success. Famous brand names reflect these qualities: Mercedes, BMW, Cartier etc…
Generation X will be discussed in the next post.
Till then, remember Diversity starts at home,