Overweighing? Obese? How much is in "MY" hand?
Seventy percent of our bodies' energy expenditure is fixed as basal or resting metabolic rate. Exercising only will not help you reduce much weight, while crash dieting is not the answer either.
It makes sense to stick to a regimen which you can follow for a long period of time to achieve and maintain your target weight.
The following are the steps to design such a regimen.
1. Find out your ideal weight by putting your height and ideal BMI in the formula
BMI= Weight/Height^2 (kg/m^2)
Your target should be to keep your BMI somewhere between 19 and 25.
2. Calculate your resting energy expenditure (REE) putting ideal weight (w) in this formula.
REE=900+10w (For males) and
REE=700+7w (For females)
3. REE is then adjusted for the kind of physical activity you are involved in by multiplying the result by 1.2 (for sedentary), 1.4 (for moderate activity) or 1.8 (for very active).
The final figure provides an estimate of total caloric needs in a state of energy balance.
4. Now you know how much weight is to be lost and what should be your ideal energy intake.
5. Now calculate how many calories you are presently taking everyday.
Suppose you take 1000 Kcal/day extra.
6. Start by decreasing 200 Kcal/day. Divide that over 2-3 meals.
7. Add raw vegetables as salad and fruits which will just fill your stomach without adding calories. For a week, stick to this regimen.
8. The next week, reduce 200 Kcals more and the next week 200 Kcals more until you finally reach to 1000 Kcals lesser than original.
A deficit of 7,500 Kcals will produce a loss of one kg. The best diet regimen will have 55-60 percent of total calories from carbohydrates, 30 percent from fats and 10-15 percent from proteins.
Do not STOP eating your favorite foods to cut down your caloric intake. It will just make you crave them. Instead, add vegetables and fruits, with little of those devilish foods. Once you reach your target comfortably, you will realize that sticking to this convenient regimen does not take away much, but will increase your energy levels.