Ten Reasons to Love Your Library - Page 2
6. It’s a community center, too. Check it out! Movie nights, classes on writing, book clubs, lectures, play readings, and more. Check the library's website or local papers (still get them?)
7. Used book sales. Oh, yes. Most libraries sponsor these, and they’re so much fun. And, at those prices, you can buy them, read them - and donate them back when you’re done.
8. Oasis. One of my best friends goes to the library simply to have a break from the demands of being at home with her testosterone-filled family of husband and sons. It’s a mini-vacation for her. I like it too – and so much easier to read People in a comfy armchair instead of on line at the supermarket.
9. Real live people go there. At the library, you are surrounded by fellow seekers: people who read, who look for answers, and enjoy the presence of other humans. And – just for the joy of it – you can also visit the children’s section and watch the kids play.
10. Expertise. Your librarians know a lot. Try them. Research librarians are amazing resources. Ask them questions; it’ll save time and frustration, and the answers come with a smile too.
Oh, and (have I already said this?) it’s all free. The peace, the knowledge, the solitude, the company; the books and all the rest. Try it – even one hour a week. You’ll be hooked – or at least I hope you will. The world waits for you at your local library. Use it, support it, teach your children about its pleasures. It’s your tax dollars at work, in the best possible way.