Come One, Come All! The Westboro Freak Show Continues!
Freedom is not free! Ask any veteran or current servicemen and women about the price of freedom. Chances are, they will tell you exactly what freedom costs.The Supreme Court has granted and confirmed civil rights and liberties since 1790. Consider the following:
1) Loving v. Virginia granted us the right to interracial marriage in 1967.
2) Brown v. Board of Education declared in 1954 that segregating public schools in unconstitutional.
3) Roe v. Wade gave women the right to privacy and to have access to abortions in 1973.
4) In 1966, Miranda v. Arizona gave us the right to protect ourselves from self-incrimination.
5) Lawrence v. Texas gave consenting adults privacy in the bedroom in 2003.
6) In 2008, the District of Columbia v. Heller reiterated our right to bear arms.
7) Last January, Citizens United v. the Federal Election Commission gave us the right to lobby and engage in political speech.
8) Despite a tradition of excellence, Snyder v. Phelps gave Westboro Baptist Church the right to spew hate speech at military funerals. This is the worst decision they have made to date. Instead of the great decisions they made, such as the ones I listed above, the Westboro Baptist Church is now being allowed to abuse and batter their freedoms. If you do not feel that the Westboro circus knew that this would hurt the families of soldiers, think again!
I feel that the Supreme Court supporting hate speech is unjust. Apparently, I'm not the only one. The Anti-Defamation League puts them in the same class as the Nazi Low Riders, Aryan Nation, and Ku Klux Klan. Sadly, the simple truth is that the Westboro Baptist Church's activities of protesting at military funerals is virtually in the same class as the Ku Klux Klan's burning of crosses in the 1960's and skinheads who murder innocent people. When will the Westboro Baptist Church's nonviolence become violent?Continued on the next page