Egyptian Democracy Activists Want Army Ruling Council Out
More than 100,000 Egyptians have been clashing with the Army in Cairo trying to force them to keep their promise to hand over power to civilians.
Following the collapse of the Tunisian dictatorship Egyptians launched their own revolution Jan. 25.
By Feb. 11, President Mubarak had been ousted and taken into custody. The military promised it would hold presidential elections within six months.
Now, nine months later it appears the military council intended to hold the voting late in 2012 or early in 2013.
At least 30 people have been killed in protests. More than 1,500 were wounded. The Obama administration has condemned the military’s violence.
Amnesty International reports that in some cases the army has been more brutal than Mubarak's regime.
The military has dismissed the civilian cabinet, and it was not known when it would be replaced.
On Tuesday, Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, head of the council, said presidential elections would be held no later than June or July next year.
The announcement drew jeers from the masses in Tahir Square, the same location where demonstrators drove Mubarak from power. They told the army to leave because they are staying.
Tantawi said if the people want the army out of power sooner a referendum could be held, but it would have to show this is the will of the majority.
“The Armed Forces, represented by their Supreme Council, do not aspire to govern and put the supreme interest of the country above all considerations,” Tantawi said.
The speech came too late, said Abdulrahman al-Zaghimy, a leader of young dissidents who are calling for a second revolution.
Pictured: Field Marshal Tantawi