Top 10 Reasons Boehner Will Never Be Able to Deliver His Caucus on Debt Ceiling Vote
It was really clear from watching an unsteady, slurring Speaker of the House John Boehner at his hastily-called press conference Friday evening that there's nothing he'd like better than to have a vote, approve a debt ceiling hike (even with the dreaded "revenue increases") since he knows the vast majority of people with functional forebrains will rightfully blame the GOP if America defaults on its obligations.
But he can't. And he won't. He doesn't have enough Republicans in the House of Representatives who will vote for a debt ceiling increase — ANY debt ceiling increase.
At the moment, there are 240 House Republicans, 193 Democrats and two vacancies. In order for a bill to pass the house, you need a simple majority which, in this case, would be 217 votes. Now assume the 193 Democrats ALL vote for the debt ceiling increase. You would still need at least 24 of the Republicans to vote for it too.
Boehner doesn't HAVE 24 Republicans who WILL vote for the debt ceiling increase.
And here are the top 10 reasons why!
10. Like Colombian drug lords who will blow up an entire passenger jet to kill one guy, the GOP is willing to sink the world economy to "get" Obama.
9. It really doesn't matter. We are in the "End Times" and Jesus is coming back to whisk the true believers to heaven with him.
8. Any day I'm gonna let some "nee-grow" tell ME what to vote for is the day I surrender my NRA membership.
7. Hey, won't bankrupting the world economy cause the divide between the wealthy and the poor to become wider? It's a win/win for OUR guys!
6. But if we vote for a debt ceiling increase, Rush will be MAD and say BAD THINGS about us!Continued on the next page