Why We Fight: Letter from Osama Bin Laden
Many Americans have recently come to question why we are really fighting Al Qaeda abroad, and why they are fighting us. We've been told that "terrorists hate our way of life." Perhaps it is time we really consider what Osama Bin Laden said himself was the root cause of his attacks on the United States.
Shortly after the tragic events of 9/11, Osama Bin Laden released an open letter to the United States as to why he attacked. The main points are presented in question and answer format as follows (these are excerpts. Each question was answered with further depth.)
The letter from Osama bin Laden
While seeking Allah's help, we form our reply based on two questions directed at the Americans:
(Q1) Why are we fighting and opposing you?
(Q2)What are we calling you to, and what do we want from you?
As for the first question: Why are we fighting and opposing you? The answer is very simple:
Because you attacked us and continue to attack us.
- You attacked us in Palestine
- You attacked us in Somalia; you supported the Russian atrocities against us in Chechnya, the Indian oppression against us in Kashmir, and the Jewish aggression against us in Lebanon.
- Under your supervision, consent and orders, the governments of our countries which act as your agents, attack us on a daily basis.
- You steal our wealth and oil at paltry prices because of you international influence and military threats. This theft is indeed the biggest theft ever witnessed by mankind in the history of the world.
- Your forces occupy our countries; you spread your military bases throughout them; you corrupt our lands, and you besiege our sanctities
- You have starved the Muslims of Iraq, where children die every day. It is a wonder that more than 1.5 million Iraqi children have died as a result of your sanctions, and you did not show concern.