INDY500 DW12 #poleday And #bumpday Weekend Trials - Page 4
IndyCar needs Alesi and Simona de Silvestro in the race to avoid not having a full 33-car field for the first time since 1947, but it's possible that the two cars will be black-flagged for failing to maintain a reasonable speed.
There was disappointment Sunday when no team owner threw together a last-minute entry to try to bump one of the Lotus cars out of the field. Both Jay Howard and Pippa Mann indicated they were close to putting together deals, but couldn't get Chevrolet or Honda to give them an engine. That led to rumors it was IndyCar who halted the engines to protect Lotus - an allegation series officials vehemently denied.
Let's not forget the TurboGate saga, either, with Chevrolet losing two appeals trying to prevent Honda from using a new compressor cover on its turbocharger. The defeat has supposedly left powerhouse owner Roger Penske so infuriated he's refusing to speak to Bernard, but yet it's Penske who has a driver on the pole and two more starting on the second row.
Penske, who at least publicly has preached a message of unity and support of IndyCar leaders, goes into the 500 perfect on the season with five poles and four victories. Honda, meanwhile, had only one driver qualify inside the top 10.
So from the outside, it sure looks like a mess for IndyCar. But Bernard is fond of claiming "all press is good press," and if drama gets fans to tune into Sunday's race, then maybe IndyCar knows exactly what it is doing.
Here is how the field is set for the 98th running of the INDY500:
Pos Driver Team/Car Speed
1. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 226.484
2. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy 226.481
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 226.240
4. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 225.456
5. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 225.422
6. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 225.172
7. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 224.037
8. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 224.751
9. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 224.422
10. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 224.264
11. Alex Tagliani Herta DW12-Honda 224.000
12. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 223.959
13. Ana Beatriz Andretti/Conquest DW12-Chevy 223.920
14. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 223.868
15. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 223.684
16. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 223.582
17. James Jakes Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 223.482
18. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 223.422
Continued on the next page
19. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 223.392
20. Townsend Bell Schmidt DW12-Honda 223.134
21. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 222.929