Top Five Most Exciting Fantasy Football Rookie RBs
No position is primed to jump into the fantasy football world like the running back position. Each year, several rookies contribute...and knowing which to invest in can take you a long way towards a fantasy football championship.
It is important to remember that a player's draft position in the NFL Draft does not necessarily guarantee that player success in the NFL. It is also unusual for the draft order to predict the most fantasy value for a given year.
You need look no further than last year's poster child for fantasy football sleepers: LeGarrette Blount of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Without further delay, let's jump into this year's crop of exciting rookies
5. Mikel Leshoure, RB, Detoit Lions
There is a lot to like about Mikel Leshoure from a fantasy football perspective. He is a bruising, North-South runner who will take over the short yardage duties for the Lions immediately. Should Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson stay healthy, the Lions will have a potent offensive attack that should generate at least a handful of touchdown opportunities for the young runner. At worst, Leshoure becomes the touchdown vulture in Detroit. But let's not limit him to that role just yet. In his senior season at Illinois, Leshoure rushed for 1,697 yards on 281 carries with 17 touchdowns. He has the makings of a premier back if he gets the chance.
- Worst-case scenario: Handcuff to Jahvid Best
- Best-case scenario: Takes over the starting role in Detroit
- Likely scenario: 30% of the hand-offs, and short yardage work
- Worst-case scenario: Part-time player who picks up more time as the season goes on.
- Best-case scenario: Becomes the starter and plays for 25 snaps per game.
- Likely scenario: Pushes the aging RBs out of the way, but shares time with several other backs.
- Worst-case scenario: Ryan Williams becomes part of a three-headed monster at the RB position in Arizona
- Best-case scenario: Williams becomes the lightning in a thunder-and-lightning attack, and chews up some impressive yardage.
- Likely scenario: Williams splits time, but finishes the season as the Cardinals top RB for total yardage in 2011. Continued on the next page