Technorati Authority FAQ
What is Technorati Authority?
- Technorati Authority measures a site's standing & influence in the blogosphere. With the October 2009 redesign of technorati.com, we’ve changed the Technorati Authority calculations to better reflect the continually changing attention of the blogosphere.
- We have also added a new measure of Technorati Authority, which is topical by content category, i.e., technology, movies, automotive, etc.
How is Technorati Authority calculated?
- Authority is calculated based on a site’s linking behavior, categorization and other associated data over a short, finite period of time. A site’s authority may rapidly rise and fall depending on what the blogosphere is discussing at the moment, and how often a site produces content being referenced by other sites.
- The new Authority calculation differs from the past version, which measured linking behavior over a longer 6 month timeframe. Please note that links in blogrolls don’t count towards Authority, as they are not indicative of interest in relevant content; we stopped including blogroll links in August 2008.
- Authority is on a scale of 0-1000. 1000 is the highest possible authority.
How does topical Technorati Authority work?
- Topical Authority measures a blog’s influence within its subject category.
- Blogs will appear ranked by topical authority within Technorati’s blog directory.
- Factors include linking behavior from blogs and posts in the same category, how well a blog's overall content matches the category in question, and other associated data.
- It’s possible for a blog to have authority in several different categories. The authority in each category may be different.
What is Technorati Rank?
- Technorati Rank is a site's rank among the Technorati Authority of all sites. 1 is the highest rank.
- We also determine topical ranks within categories, based on the topical Technorati Authority.
- As sites' Technorati Authority changes over time, ranks will also change. You can see the top-ranked sites in the overall Blogosphere at Technorati Top100 and the top sites in each category in the Blog Directory.
Also see Technorati's Support Page