Reinvent with Vintage..this Fashion is Smokin!
Fashion is a little bit out of my realm, but as I am a keen observer, vintage styling from the 1930's to the 1960's has definitely come back, and it's smoking hot!
It's not that I hadn't noticed before, but when Katy Perry came busting out wearing retro 1950's pinup style clothing, I thought, "What a fun, classic, yet classy look," then I went about my business. Suddenly, I see Sara Rue promoting Jenny Craig Weight loss in a commercial wearing the typical 1950's polka dot, high waisted two piece swimsuit that I used to see pictures of my mom wearing when she was a girl. When I went to the mall, I began to notice more and more mannequins dressed like June Cleaver from "Leave it to Beaver." It was then that I wondered, did I miss the comeback, or, are we in the beginning of the comeback?
My recent interest in fashion and my realization of how "out of the loop" I have been, is mainly due to a upcoming luxury summer cruise my family and I will be going on this July. As I read the wardrobe specifications and then read the list of semi-formal to formal events on the cruise, I realized I needed to update my closet. Reinvent my wardrobe, is more like it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not unfashionable. But, I have never considered myself to be the woman who has to have the latest and greatest. I am very aware of brand names like Coach, Prada, Verce, and the sort, but honestly, 90% of my closet is Banana Republic (teacher wardrobe in a store, I love it), with the other 10% is a mix of The Gap and American Eagle. I own Jessica Simpson clutches and bags...but the caveat to why I own them is because I got the clutches or bags for free when I bought bottles of her perfume from Macy's. All my underclothing is Victoria Secret, and I will never buy anything else because every month I get "free underwear" cards and "$10 off bra" cards. I own one formal that I bought four years ago, for a formal occasion. I re-wear it if formal occasions happen to come up. Otherwise, I buy belts, hats, scarfs, shoes and the sort from Target. Hey, I am a teacher and a freelance writer, not a celebrity.Continued on the next page