Valentine's Day Etiquette
Growing up in the Deep South, I was raised with Cotillion and manners. So, etiquette is very important to me. It's no secret that doing too much, or too little, can be fatal to a relationship!
For the newly dating couple, exchange cards or a single flower. One meaningful gift is much more proper than an extravagant overload of gifts. Simplicity is key! Politely attempt to discuss this with your partner. At the least, attempt to compromise. If it has been a few months, focus on trying to create a memory together: a night away or tickets to a sporting event are perfectly acceptable.
Here are some of the general golden rules of Valentine's Day:
1. Your partner should have your undivided attention.
2. On dates, cell phones should be turned off.
3. Whoever asks the other out should be prepared to pay for the date- whether male or female. However, splitting the check, or "Going Dutch", is not only common, but totally acceptable.
4. Get the card now! If you want to go above and beyond, go ahead and buy flowers!
5. Table manners are always important, but, especially on Valentine's Day!
So, while you should keep all of this in mind, please remember the most important thing about Valentines Day. Valentines Day is for both to show that they love each other, so, be sure to do that on February the Fourteenth!