Women Trying to Navigate the Recession's Path - Page 2
Some of the results of current government policy initiatives are:
- 12,000 Small Business Recovery Act loans have been given to women-owned businesses;
- The HIRE Act jobs bill created work for 2.9 million women who were unemployed;
- The extension of unemployment benefits from July 2008 to August 2010 benefited 6.9 million women;
- Parents can now keep children on their healthcare policies until age 26;
- Industry initiative to help teachers (76% female), health-care workers (75% female) and nurses (96%female) keep their jobs;
- Programs to make college loans more affordable have already started, such as the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program; and
- The expansion of the STEM Program that encourages female students to enter into the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math fields.
President Obama and his administration are trying to guide the U.S. out of a nasty recession but it’s not going to be quick or easy.
In about a week they will need the backing of women voters to keep government officials empowered to move the country and economy forward. Can they do it?
There certainly isn't a roadmap to follow and still many twists and turns to navigate.