Worrying Number of Dating Website Users fall Victim to Scams - Page 2
A potential scammer may:
• Claim to be located somewhere remote; which explains why they can’t be contacted via telephone. They often do this because they are commonly from Nigeria and Russia so talking on the telephone would reveal their accent. A common scam is con artists posing to be soldiers in the US army who are based in Afghanistan, Iraq or similar.
• Have photographs of someone incredibly attractive. Although not every attractive dater is a scammer, fraudsters often use photographs of handsome men and striking women to lure victims.
• Come across overly affectionate, using pet names for the victim. If the dater is declaring their love very shortly after conversing they could be doing so to make the victim feel special, encouraging them to send them gifts and presents.
• Use very little personal address during interaction, particularly emails. Little use of the victim’s name during conversation may indicate a block of text that they copy and paste to multiple victims.
• Irregular conversation flow during exchange of emails and instant messages. Scammers often send out the same emails to multiple victims at the same time, so their emails may not directly answer questions that the potential victim asks.
• Quickly suggests moving contact off the dating site and onto an anonymous messenger. As mentioned before, the dating sites are aware of these scams, so the fraudster only has limited time before their account on the dating website is terminated.
• Have a poor command of the English language or consistent incorrect use of grammar. Nigerian and Russian scammers may have some grasp of the English language but often use the wrong synonyms in sentences. Poor grammar use during the exchange of emails could indicate a dating scam.
Although people from all age groups and genders have been victims of online dating scams, women aged between 30 and 55 years are considered to be the most-targeted age group. Anyone who suspects an online dating scam should report it to the website in order to get their account terminated and inform the police too. Clamping down on online dating scams can help to increase the safety of dating and prevent more vulnerable victims from being conned.